Dr. R. P. Shanmugam, pioneer in the field of Surgical Gastroenterology has more than 5 decades of experience in providing quality health care. He is the first certified surgical gastroenterologist of the India. He also performed the first ever Liver transplant in the country at Stanley Medical College way back in 1996. He has touched many lives through his surgical expertise and service mindedness. He is highly regarded among the medical fraternity for providing quality and personalised service to his patients. A high achiever, Prof. Shanmugam has a passion and genuine interest in serving people. His dream is to provide quality healthcare to people irrespective of the socioeconomic status culminated in RPS HOSPITALS.
54 years of Experience
Clinical Expertise :
- LIVER TRANSPLANT
- Gastrointestinal Cancer Surgery.
- Hernia Repair surgery
- Gallbladder Surgery(Cholecystectomy)
- Esophagus and Foregut (Upper GI) Surgery.
- Colorectal surgery
- Nissen fundoplication
- Whipple Procedure (Pancreaticoduodenectomy)
- Liver and Bile Duct Surgery.
- Pancreas Surgery
- Advanced Laparoscopic GI surgery
- An intra abdominal foreign body presenting as a mesenteric mass a case report. Chakravathi Rajkumar, R.P.Shanmugam, Srikumari Damodaran, N.Rangabashyam. Antiseptic Jan 1983.
- Ganglioneuroma of the adrenal gland –a case report. G.Elavazahan,
R.P.Shanmugam, N.Rangabashyam Antiseptic June 1983.
- Leiomyosarcoma of the small intestine– a case report.
D.Kannan, D.Ganaprakasam, R.P.Shanmugam, Srikumari Damodaran, N.Rangabashyam. The Antiseptic, Dec 1983, vol–80, no–12
- Etiological factors acalculous cholecystitis
N.Rangabashyam, D.Gnanaprakasm, R.P.Shanmugam, B.S.Thiruvadanan Srikumari Damodaran.Ind.J.Surg.dec, 1983:696-699.
- Angiomyolipoma a case report
B.Mahender, S.S.Sathyamurthy, R.P.Shanmugam, N.Rangabashyam. Southern Scientist March 1984, vol 9, no–1
- Acalculous cholecystitis N.Rangabashyam, D.Ghanaprakasam, R.P.Shanmugam, B.S.Tiruvadanan, Srikumari Damodaran, P.Subramaniam
Am J Of proct. Gastro. & Colon & rectal surgery March 1984, vol–35 no–3
- Ulcer of the gastrojejunal stoma
R.P.Shanmugam, D.Gnanaprakasam, N.Rangabashyam. Ind.J.Sur August 1984:399-403.
- Amoebic liver abscess. Ravikumar, R.P.Shanmgam, N.Rangabashyam IMPAI, Souvenir 1984
- Truncal Vagotomy & suitable drainage procedure for chronic duodenal ulcer. N.Rangabashyam, R.P.shanmugam.
Abstracts, International Symposia on Peptic ulcer & Hepatitis Japanese society of Gastroenterology. Nov 1985,Japan
- Is there a need for gastrectomy in anastamotic ulcer? N.Rangabashyam, R.P.Shanmugam.
Abstracts, International Symposia on Peptic ulcer & Hepatitis Japanese Society of Gastroenterology. Nov 1985, Japan
- Pseudo cyst of pancreas — Prospective study
R.P.Shanmugam, N.Rangabashyam, South Indian Surgical Clinics September 1987 vol– 1 no– 4
- Koch’s belly. R.P.Shanmugam. South Indian Surgical Clinics Vol.2, no–4 oct-1988
- Necrotising Gut lesions – separate bogeys or a vestibule disease?
R.P.Shanmugam Editorial. South Indian Surgical Clinics. Vol 2 no 1,Jan 1988.
- Malignant tumours of anal canal & anal margin. R.P.Shanmugam, S.Vetrivel,
N.Rangabashyam.CME Annual of
of Indian society of gastrenterology, 1985
- Orthoptic liver transplantation for primary Sclerosing Cholangitis
P.Muiesan, R.P.Shanmugam, J.Devlin, M.Rela, N.D.Heaton, R.Williams. Transplantation proceedings, vol 26,no 6,1994:3574-3576
- Caecocutaneous fistula 40 years after Appendicectomy
R.P.Shanmugam. Indian Journal Of gastroenterology 1995 Vol–14, no–4
- A case of large oesophageal mucocele after surgical isolation R.P.Shanmugam, A.S.Natarajan, Sadik Hussain, S.Vivekanandan Tropical Gastroenterology, Tropical Gastroenterology.
- Biliary Cyst adenoma. A case Report. Vivekanandan Shanmugam, R.P.Shanmugam, A.Ratnasami
Tropical Gastroenterology.2002Vol 23: no-2; 92-93.
- Extra osseous Ewing’s Sarcoma. R.P.Shanmugam, V.Reddy, Vivekanandan Shanmugam. Tropical Gastroenterology. 2002;Vol 23: no –2; 105 –106
- Authored and published a book on Peptic ulcer and its Treatment in the regional language (Tamil) in a view to educate the public.
- Authored a chapter on Surgical Options in Cancer Oesophagus for a book on CANCER ESOPHAGUS to be published by the Department of Digestive Health & Diseases, Government Peripheral Hospital, Annanagar, Chennai, India.
- Pyrexia of Unknown Origin-A rare cause.Dr.Baskar,Dr.R.P.Shanmugam,Dr.Muralidharan,Dr.Karthik.Apollo Hosp.proc.Apr 2004,vol 2 p.54-59
- The First Qualified Surgical Gastroenterologist of the country
- Founder of the Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, Stanley Medical College, Chennai.
- Part of the team which did the first ever Liver transplant in India in Dec 1995 at Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, India
- Led the team of surgeons who performed the first Liver Transplantation at a Government hospital in India at Stanley Medical College & Hospital, Chennai India in January 1996
- Former advisor to Government of Tamilnadu.
- Member of the Indian Council Of Medical Research for formulating guidelines for xenotransplantation in India and ethical guidelines on Biomedical research involving human subjects.
- Association of Surgeons of India
- Indian Society of Gastroenterology
- Indian Association of Surgical Gastroenterology
- Executive Board Member of World Hepatitis Alliance