The stomach is a muscular bag which connects the food pipe with the intestine. Its main function is to break down of food with help of acid it produces. It is normally divided in fundus, body and antrum.
The cancer can affect any part of the stomach. The most common is adenocarcinoma of the stomach. There are other tumors like Gastrointestinal Stromal tumors, neuro endocrine tumors etc can also occur.
- Vomiting, sometimes blood
- Loss of weight and appetite
- Stomach pain
- Feeling full after eating
- Black coloured stools indicating internal bleeding
- Feeling full after a small meal
- Heartburn or indigestion
- Reflux of acid
- Helicobacter pylori infection in the stomach
- Family history
- Diet low in fruits and vegetables
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy and a biopsy
- CT scan of the abdomen
- PET CT
Usually depends on the stage. Surgery will be the main stay. Removal of stomach in full or a part of it based on the location of the tumour. Based on the pathology and spread to the lymph nodes chemotherapy will be given.