Do you know of cancer-related deaths among men and women, colon cancer is the 3rd leading cause? Early-stage colon cancer shows symptoms like changes in bowel movement, abdominal pain, or bloated stomach that you can easily mistake for other less serious conditions. Early detection and proper Intestine cancer treatment can help manage this life-threatening disease. Let’s learn more about this important health topic – your colon will thank you!!
What is colon cancer?
The colon is the longest part of your large intestine, and cancer that starts in the colon is known as colon cancer. As a vital part of the digestive system, the colon removes water and salt from waste before it gets eliminated from our body. So, when abnormal non-cancerous cells (called polyps) grow in the colon, they multiply and form a tumour. Over time, it may turn cancerous and spread to other areas of the body. Cancer treatment in India has forged ahead in recent years and has become more accessible for the population worldwide.
What are the symptoms of colon cancer?
Initial-stage colon cancer does not show any symptoms. However, as the condition progresses, you’ll notice one or more of the following.
- Changes in bowel movements: This includes constipation, diarrhoea, or persistent change in the consistency of your stool.
- Blood in your stools: While bright or dark red stool may be due to an anal tear or consuming beetroots, it may also indicate colon cancer. Talk to your healthcare provider to discuss possible Cancer treatment in India.
- Abdominal pain or cramps: You may feel pain in the lower abdomen after a bowel movement or have a bloated stomach with no known cause.
- Rectal bleeding: You may notice blood in your stool or toilet paper.
- Unintended weight loss: It indicates colon cancer and also other serious health issues.
- Weakness, fatigue, and vomiting
What are the causes of colon cancer?
According to the CDC, men are more likely to be affected by colon cancer than women. Also, it is more prevalent among older adults. As for the causes, doctors and medical researchers are not sure.
Here are 6 factors that increase the risk.
- Heredity: If a close blood relative has colon cancer, you have an increased chance of developing the disease.
- Inherited genetic conditions: Mutations such as Lynch syndrome, Familial Adenomatous Polyposis (FAP) increase your risk of colon cancer.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD): Chronic conditions such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease pose a greater threat.
- Polyps: This non-cancerous growth in the colon may eventually turn cancerous.
- Lifestyle choices: Consuming a diet high in red meat & processed foods and low in fibre, a sedentary lifestyle, diabetes, tobacco use, and excessive alcohol consumption increase the risk of colon cancer.
- Obesity: This increases the chance of disease occurrence multifold compared to people with normal BMI.
Understand the symptoms and causes so that you can take proper steps to protect yourself and your loved ones. If you are diagnosed with colon cancer, severalIntestine cancer treatments can help control the disease. As always, early detection is the key to a successful outcome.
Understand the symptoms and causes so that you can take proper steps to protect yourself and your loved ones. If you are diagnosed with colon cancer, several Intestine cancer treatments can help control the disease. As always, early detection is the key to a successful outcome.
The key to protecting yourself and your loved ones is to understand the symptoms and causes. In the event you are diagnosed with colon cancer, several treatments can help control the disease, and you can compare the cost of colon cancer treatment cost in India to see which one is most appropriate. As always, early detection is key to achieving the best outcome.